09 May, 2006

The paths we take, Part one

"The paths we take in this life are illuminated by the people with whom we walk."

In 1966, I was at the Berkeley Folk Festival. Just one of a whole bunch of instrument-carrying folkies hoping to steal some licks off somebody better that I was (that included a LOT of people, so I pretty much fancied my chances).

On the first day, I got drawn into the middle of a group of dancing, singing, thoroughly joyful people. At the center were an obvious Rabbi with a nylon strung guitar and a tall, thin guy with a 12-string guitar. I joined in with the instruments, and the whole thing kept going - one long dancing expression of joy - for what seemed like either moments or hours.

For the next three days, I hung around with the Rabbi (Shlomo Carlebach), the guy (David, whose last name I didn't get), and a couple of dozen other teenagers and twenty-somethings. On the last day of the festival, I got to stand on the stage of the Greek Theater backing Shlomo. I spent the next week pretty much doing the same thing, following Shlomo, playing my zither-top six-string banjo, and being there. I played for him for two Sabbaths, and went from one appearance and event to another while he brought his message to schools, synagogues, and all kinds of gatherings of young people.

All things end, of course. Shlomo got on a plane and went back to New York. I got selected by my fellow citizens to participate in the Army (an offer I semi-declined by joining the Air Force for what was supposed to be a four-year tour).

I left California for training, and then for an assignment to Germany (with a short return trip so my finacee could tell me she was going to marry a friend of mine who didn't mind lying to get out of service). The four year tour turned into a 26-year association with the Air Force. I got a couple of letters from Shlomo, answered them, and eventually lost touch.

It was years later that I found out about the impact Shlomo had on the lives of so many people. I was living in Eugene, Oregon at the time. On a bulletin board, I saw a flyer advertising a concert (that had already happened) by a gentleman whose major claim to fame was his association with Shlomo.

I must have subvocalized "Shlomo Carlebach???" at some volume, because one of the people there was eager to tell me about Shlomo's work in San Francisco, and the styles of worship, fellowship, and even healing that had been named after him. So off I went to the Internet, and found that this gentle, thoroughly joyful man had become quite a figure.

It even turns out that the first Sabbath where I (and others) accompanied Shlomo was a major turning point in his life.

Oh, and the guy with the 12-string (11, actually, he left off one of the top strings) is now a famous Rabbi in his own right. His web site is http://www.davidzeller.org/. Extremely impressive gentleman.

I wonder how many of that group did important things? Probably no way to find out, but it would be an interesting project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home