06 October, 2009

All right.....NOW is it Obvious?

Every time I wonder how a practicing Christian, Jew, Moslem, Neo-Druid, Buddhist, or just about everything else could possibly support the Conservative Movement, I get beaten about the head and shoulders for not "getting it" --- usually accompanied by various quotations from the appropriate books.

Conservative Christians tend to be the prickliest about the idea,holding up one of the multiple hundreds of English translations of The Bible as "proof that God supports Conservatism" and, apparently that Jesus of Nazareth didn't really mean a lot of that stuff about loving your neighbor.

Now the wonderful folks at Conservapedia have launched The Conservative Bible Project. The idea is to get rid of what they see as "The Liberal Bias" in The Bible. It must be said that they appear to be concentrating New International Version (NIV), which should, I suppose, give that version some increase in sales. For an interesting precis of the effort, I refer you to the appropriate column in Crooks and Liars.

As one might expect, the less-than-Conservatively-Pure amongst us are going to have some fun with the whole idea that one specific version of one of the many translations of what may be the most edited work in history is somehow deserving of yet another revision.

AND SO IT BEGINS: As I type this, I have the news on TV, and the story has just cut into the space used last hour for David Letterman's most recent apology, and the interesting defense by the alleged blackmailer: "I have proof this was true, and so I shouldn't be prosecuted."

UPDATE: The first mention I saw was on MSNBC, now it's on CNN, and I am informed that the broadcast news programs have included it in their "silly season" units. NO, I don't know what Fox had to say about it. I will read their web site, I will subscribe to Human Events Online, but I cannot handle what passes for commentary on the channel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home