17 January, 2011

Well, isn't this just too ironic for words?

For the past few years, I've been having a series of what for a better term, I'll call digestive problems. Mostly difficulties in swallowing and a variety of intestinal pains and malfunctions. I have had most of these symptoms before (albeit in ones and twos), and they had been attributed to stress, so I was just as happy to make the same attribution and try to press on. My productivity levels declined, as did my concentration, but I had dealt with depression before, and there were some similarities, so.....

A couple of months ago, Lydia was not doing too well, so I put the work on Mom's house to the side and came home for a while. Lydia improved, and is well into remission. Her ability to diagnose symptoms also improved, and I was no longer able to lay off my various symptoms on stress. So, a series of tests ensued, and I was sitting in my doctor's office looking at pictures of two different kinds of cancers. With luck, successful treatment, and the Grace of  what Powers there be, we should be able to get them far enough down to be operable.

We do get the occasional comment (meant well) such as:
      Aren't you too taking this togetherness thing too far?
      Look, competition is all well and good, but...........

But it is more than a little ironic. Maybe Spider Robinson is right: if somebody who practices gluttony is a glutton, then G-d spends a lot of time being an iron. Just to make things more fun, we've been sharing one of these "cough until your stomach knots up" viral thingie since two days after Christmas. Thought we were getting better, made plans to see the grandchildren this past weekend, and had to cancel for fear of carrying this to any of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home